
Well as part of my adventuring years (yes way back then) I traveled to Korea - alone -for 3 months. It was a pivotal time in my life when I had to just depend on myself and not lean on any form of communication to get me through things. Probably the only time I was good about writing in a journal needless to say. It was an experience of moving around Seoul and the outskirts of the city.
To keep money in my pocket (and not leave to come home penny less) I taught English and did a few T.V./and Movie stuff. They love those Americans because trust me I can not act! Once I was surrounded by a mob of little girls and boys asking for my autograph. (they think all Americans are the bomb diggity). Having no clue who "Heather" was, I signed Madonna and went on my way. It must be a Korean thing I figured. With all the excitement I still had many decisions to face. I suffered from loneliness, mild depression (otherwise known as pregnancy) and dealing that the realization of my life would never be the same when I returned to AZ. The Independence was amazing. There was a high with no one to answer to or worry about me as they had no control or clue where I was. It was me and my game plan, thoughts, and choices for myself. With all the freedom and new places I would visit, it still didn't take away the knowledge that I needed to get better medical care. They wouldn't even give me prenatal vitamins with claims they would make me more sick. One night I couldn't take it anymore emotionally. I called from a payphone at 4:00 in the morning on a street corner so I could reach someone awake in the States. I cried and cried and finally the words just hit me as they were spoken by my 'friend'. "Come home, get on the next flight and come home". I went back and packed up my little studio I had just rented. Packed 2 suitcases and took the long journey home to my new life. I had Bailey 5 months later and have never looked back since. I wouldn't want one of my kids to be that adventurous but it made me a stronger person. I would love to travel with Jamie but there is just that phase in your life when all you have to worry about is in front of you and the future is not an issue. This phase of life is where I look back and see all the youth and energy I had, but to be honest I am not sure how much it meant. I love my family and I am grateful for my experiences. I can not even begin to remember what it was like before kids but this pictures helps me get a glimpse of it and I am at peace knowing the best years were yet to come. Well and not to mention some of the hardest but that's okay! :)
4 comments:
What an experience! I don't have even an inch of that much independence in me. I'm glad you learned from your experience and were able to make it back safely without a search party scouring the world trying to find you. :)
Thanks for sharing your story! I ran off to New Zealand for 2 months before I came home and got married. I had a friend to stay with so I wasn't totally by myself but it was still such a learning experience I would never give back.
You are so brave. I'm a whimp. I ran off to Utah and came home after 4 days! But I still learned something from it.
I ran off to New York once, but missed home too much. Sometimes you just need to get away from it all to think things out.
My brother went to Seoul, Korea on his mission. Did you ever eat dog? LOL
Post a Comment