20081229

Two years ago and still get chills when I see a car speed down Castlegate Blvd










Its been two years since Baileys luckiest day when it could have changed our lives forever. Thankfully he was not speeding as fast as many do and that he slammed his breaks in time. Bailey left a dent in the hood and was banged up but I will take that over any funeral. I still can not believe how fast everyone goes down that road. My husband included I am sure. If Jamie was there that day and felt the emotions I was feeling, before I realized she was going to be fine, he would slow down too. Everyone would. I am still so fearful someone will be killed on that road of ours through the development.
Looking back:
I will never forget how terrified I was running around that corner to the street after I heard she had been hit. All I knew was her friend was banging on the door crying and screaming, "Bailey was hit by a car". I took off running and right before I got to the turn I realized I may not be prepared to see what was ahead of me. Was she alive, was she badly hurt, was she conscious? It all happened in a few seconds and as I turned the corner two men were in the middle of the street hunched over her, holding her head and yelling to go get towels. I freaked, I just felt my body collapse and hunch over crying. I heard my voice audibly cry out NO out of pure desperation. I thought it was so much worse than it actually was. I could not see very clear from where i was but I then heard her and she started crying when she saw me. I knew my worst nightmare was not happening and I pulled myself together to be brave for her who was likely very scared. After that - seeing her banged up with road rash and such I was just so glad. It could have been devastating. I was fine until Kim came out to the road and I cried out "let down tears" I guess. You know when you are fine until you see someone you know. Weird how that works.
The ambulance took her to the hospital and we all know it would be okay - Many packages of gauze and ointment for a few weeks, many bruises, sore muscles, a set of crutches and 10 sessions of physical therapy for her leg and we were good to go. The leg still acts up every once in a while but I am hopeful it will lessen.

I still don't know what the deal was with them yelling for me to get towels. Odd. Whenever I just want to pull my hair out with her and the drama of tween stage....I should think of that day. We were very blessed.

5 comments:

Chad~Nicole said...

Wow. I've never heard this story. What a blessing that she was okay.

Laurie Elizabeth Milliron said...

Having been hit by a car at 5 and drowning at 4--I sure put my mom through the mill! But because of that I have always had a fear of those two things happening to my children. Now after reading that and now that I am a grandma it fills me with the "what ifs" again. I am glad she is alright too. Those kind of experiences can be defining experiences for Bailey. They sure were for me. I have always realized that Heavenly Father spared my life because I had an important work to do here. She does too!

Cresta said...

Wow! I had no idea. That would be horrifying for sure. Glad it turned out okay!

Kim Skinner said...

Yes, I remember getting you towels and blankets. Who cares why. You just needed it for comfort so it was o.k. I'm sure Bailey learned not to dart out in the street to get to Brooklyn now. We were glad she was all right. That road is sometimes scary.

Tim and Shay said...

That story makes me cry! And I have heard it before. (Pregnancy hormones) What a blessing that she was ok.