20090406

Manipulation decorated

A family vacation is long over due so we have a 5 day trip planned in the tropics. (You can not call San Diego the tropics, but we can not afford a cruise. So for now California is the tropics in the Darger home - don't tell our kids there are much better places please) San Diego or not, I am excited. Usually I don't get to thrilled about trips. Generally is equals w-o-r-k , fighting, bad beds, and wanting to jump from a moving vehicle is usually involved during some point. Even with all that mention I think this will be great. I have high hopes.
We found a reasonable place with a private beach, arcade within the resort, even a talking parrot on sight. Its equipped with a full kitchen including large fridge AND a stove. It would help if I even used mine at home. Hey maybe this will be the start of something beautiful between me and my cookbook(s). Anyways what would a vacation planed by me without a complete folder of printouts, ideas, recommended places to eat, different addresses to frequented chains we are familiar with, and OF COURSE coupons. You know, all the neurotic stuff. As far as coupons, hey that's part of the reason we are even able to do things like this. My frugalness does pay off as much as my kids would like it to be different.

So in all my "frugalness" I got to thinking how much we actually do spend on optional items because "Hey, were on vacation". I thought how the kids usually get treats I would not normally buy when eating, or doing extra things like ordering movies, going to restaurants rather than take out etc. SO - my solution? "Beach Bucks" I am likely spending the money anyway so why not get some help out of the deal. They get to see how many days are left until we leave, and it doubles as a bank to place play money that was given for extra chores, being caught doing something nice, reading for longer than normal. Basically - I am getting my moneys worth. They don't know MY vacation started early. SUCKA'S

2 comments:

Chad~Nicole said...

I love when we outsmart our kids. I don't know why you're downplaying San Diego though. It's a perfect vacation spot.

Kimberlee said...

I love that post! Ha!