We have been discussing this day for the last 6 months especially, turning 12 is a "way big deal". :)
The Priesthood is the difference between other Christian Churches and us. I am honored to have a boy prepared to take on this sacred obligation and honor it. London has really grown spiritually the last few months. I know he has felt promptings to seek for answers and has had prayers answered along the way. I am grateful he realizes the magnitude this step. I can not wait to see who he will become. I love him more than I can express and I know if he stays on the path he has thus far, many people will be blessed by knowing him. He likes to play the part of a hooligan at times but deep down this kid has more depth than anyone would know.
Just a few of the most amazing things that happened today
-Bailey bore her testimony (THIS IS HUGE BY THE WAY)of her brother getting the Priesthood. I am so very proud of her. I didn't hear it but many people came up to me after and said how much of an example she was to them. Time had ended and Bishop was about to get up when she decided to walk up. I know this is so difficult for anyone to do even when there is enough time, but she listened to the Spirit and trusted that what she was doing was important to follow through with. Such a proud mom moment knowing something is working even if you are messing it up along the way. I am so proud of her, she didnt even give her testimony last girls camp. So again - this was huge. I need to follow her example and I am thankful for her.
-London was moved by the Spirit all Sacrament meeting (as I find out later because I thought his head was down trying to sleep) Later I saw him wiping his eyes and I chalked it up to allergies. Just kidding. After talking later at home he explained he was just sitting there after taking the Sacrament like normal. Then Bishop White started to bear his testimony and London began to feel that "tug" at his heart and the flood gates came open for the next hour apparently. Oddly enough Bishops testimony was a lot about honoring mothers and wives. He brought up about the Savior going first to Mary etc. so I will have to pick his brain on that in the future now that I think of it. We have grown so close the past few months I don't think much could put a wall between us. Of course we bicker and he and I both can say unkind things but in the end we see a commonality and get past our differences as we talk about them. He is a lot like me I thing in that we both can get heated but get over things fast and not hold grudges later. By no means do I think people should do this but I see my weaknesses and he "gets me" and I get him in that area. Referring back to the meeting today and London's experience , he was feeling the urge to bear his testimony (its been about two years maybe?) but he didnt want to go up there with a red face he said. Oh see, just like me. Poor kid. Again, thank you Bailey for setting an example. So all in all my two older were having huge moments during the meeting as Jamie and I sit there with the little ones wondering why we even try to come to church at all. Well, that right there is one of the many reasons why! Both he and I missed her testimony because he had to take Q out and I had to take Max to the bathroom. Once she was in the hall it was party time so I knew returning would be pointless. Lesson learned -
- I have to be careful when I write about another miracle today because I may have a different view on it than Jamie. As a matter of fact it was so touching to me that I was more emotional over it than the actual ordination of London receiving the Aaronic Priesthood. Backing up... Jamie is ordained a Priest of the Aaronic Priesthood. He has not "used" his Priesthood in over twenty years I think. (blessing and passing sacrament etc) This does not mean he is not worthy of it at this point but by choice he does not participate. He does not take the sacrament, he does not show interest in receiving the Melchizedek Priesthood etc. Basically he respects the offices, the organization of the church, and the Priesthood authority BUT has not had the type of witness that allows him to feel comfortable in acting in those situations (I guess). His words - "I don't have a testimony of it so I am not going to pretend". I and many others have talked until blue in the face about acting on faith and the gospel is in steps. Things come in segments sometimes predicated my faith. Regardless I know him, I know his heart, and I know his desire to have goodness in his life. I love him and I know whatever happens we will be okay - but that doesn't mean I have not mourned (literally it feels like that at certain points) this year about not belong able to go to the Temple with the man I most want to go with. I want that for us, for our family, and to enhance us as one. (for another post) but to keep it brief and to the point as much as possible a great and wonderful thing happened tonight.
Jamie, as I could make out, was asked by Bishop if he would join the circle for London to be ordained a Deacon. (mind you the man who wont even take the sacrament the last 20 years). Initially I though Bishop asked him to take the lead more than I and be apart of it. "Jamie , now you know your wife...she means well but your the Man of the house and don't let her take this thing over rambling on like she can" haha. No but really, I thought it was about saying a few things for Londons behalf and seeing his Dad be involved on a special day. Well the end result was Jamie starting the ordination kick off so to speak and asking for Ann to say the prayer and he got the chair for London. Then as you can imagine what I am leading up to was one of the most touching things I have witnessed in years, maybe always, besides Jamie holding our new babies after birth. He participated in the setting apart of London. Seeing him in the circle right near my son and to the right of his own father I couldn't help but cry before it began. I am sure it was a combination of the feeling in the room, the ordination, to the glimmer of hope that there is still growth for us together that is a possibility. I love him and I would still marry him, but I would want to marry him in the right place next time. I pray one day he will too feel the same way.
So ... over all, it was a pretty great Sunday.
Happy Birthday London!
1 comment:
Heather! Thank you for sharing this and in such great detail! Since I miss out on the happenings there, I am so thankful to you for writing about it and posting the pictures. I am so happy for you and your family to have had this experience. Many ordinations happen without such little miracles. You have a great family and I'm so happy that it turned out so special! That's neat that Jamie was given the respect and the opportunity. He is a super father, husband and just a great person overall. Congrats to London and all of you. Love, Bizzy
Post a Comment