20081013

I doubt I will ever have the desire (or stomach) to sip anything orange flavored again. BECAUSE I FAILED THE TEST! uhggggg



Gestational Diabetes? I doubt it but I had to do the second test to rule it out. Okay so everyone knows the first test is annoying but defiantly not a big deal. You get to eat dinner and breakfast prior to your appointment (non -fasting). Get your blood drawn, take a nasty bottle of 50 grams of flavored sugar. Then you sit and wait one hour and then get your blood drawn again. End result....most say "I am glad I got it over with" It is not so much the disgusting drink and needles. It is the driving, the waiting, the nuisance of ONE of the million Dr. appointments of pregnancy.

But we all do it because we want a healthy pregnancy right!

So just as I am sitting in the chair ready to begin I ask...."would it throw my results off if I ate a bunch of sugar this morning?" (I was baking a cake and eating too much left over frosting) Nice breakfast! Sad part is I never bake....just fell on the wrong day. The Lab Tech says..."ummmm yeaaah, plan on having to come back for the 3 hour, you will likely fail this one". I am thinking GREAT, why are we even starting....let me come back tomorrow. Needless to say my numbers were too high....duh....and I was told to schedule for the 3 hour. MIND YOU it is a FASTING (virtually impossible for pregnancy in itself) and you go in and drink double the amount of sugar as last time (100 grams), and get your blood drawn every hour. (FOUR TIMES!) Making a long story even longer, I had to be put in a room because I was starting to get sick (or pass out I wasn't sure which was going to come first). Thankfully I lasted and didn't yak and have to start all over. All I can say is there is no test worse at this stage in my mind. That is if course unless I don't pass this one. Test results come back Monday or Tues.
Moral of the story - if they say it is a non fasting test....still don't eat sugar proir and safe yourself a half day in the office trying not to throw up or faint.
You leave there looking torn up, not to mention track marks like a heroin addict no less. Pregancy is not for whimps I am begining to remember.

5 comments:

Joele and Matt said...

Sorry to hear that Heather. (I hope you don't mind me stalking!) When I was pregnant with Sam I at some peeps right before mine. Needless to say I was also lucky enough to do the 3 hour test. Hope your results are good!

Tressa said...

I had to do that with my first pregnancy and it was TERRIBLE so I feel for ya! How are you feeling these days??

Michelle Bebe said...

awww...hope it comes back negatory!

the first test is bad enough, i can only IMAGINE!

Stacy said...

With my last few kids, I told them not to bother with the one hour test cause I've never passed one. With Anny, I had Jana drive me to the place. She went and ran some errands while I arranged two chairs together in the waiting room so I could lay down in between draws because I wanted to throw up or pass out. I'm also glad the waiting room was empty except for me for most of it. I was so glad she was there to pick me up. There would have been no way I could have driven myself home. That is some nasty test!!

Chad~Nicole said...

So, what you're saying is...you're not craving orange Crush right now? :)